Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Happy Birthday! Surprise - Secret Squirrel is Finished!


Dresden Plate Quilt- Quilting


Ok it's time I confessed and let the cat out of the bag, or rather, the squirrel! Confused? Well, do you remember the Secret Squirrel Quilt?  I actually finished it way back in October, had it quilted in November, popped the binding on a couple of weeks ago and posted it last week! 

It has made its way to a very nice lady. She is very important to our family, she is caring, giving, generous, always there for us and we love her very much. Happy Birthday Faye

Now I did take a few photos before I posted it but the only place I had high enough was under the old verandah and the sun was playing peekaboo with the clouds. So between that, the wind and my photography skills....  and yes it is straight and square, its just the wonky old curtain rod I hung it on that has issues.



Dresden Plate Finished Quilt Front



You'll have to excuse the circles, those centres have names of people in our family embroidered on them. Even though those hourglass blocks drove me crazy I'm really glad I kept them in and the pieced binding worked really well, its just enough colour to bring the centre out.




Dresden Plate Finished Quilt Back

I quite like the back, very minimalist with just a pop of colour. and yes, another of those annoying circles :)




Dresden Plate with Embroidered Centre


The other centres(the annoying circle ones) are embroidered circularish(is that even a word?!) like this one above.



Quilting Close Up -  Quilted By Desley Maisano



In this photo you can see some of the lovely quilting feather work done by Desley Maisano at Addicted to Quilts. You can see more of her work here.


Dresden Quilt Label


When I sewed the label on, I tried to fit it nicely inside the quilted outline from the front so as not to spoil the back.

Quilt Stats:   Finished size 75" x 87"
                     Quilt Number 5
                     Pattern - Based on the Moda Bake Shop - Plates for Your Table
                     Fabric - Colours - Plates and Binding - Simple Abundance by Bonnie and Camille
                                   for Moda
                                   Cream Spot - Mill House Inn by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda
                                   Backing - a wideback that didn't have details on the selvedge - sorry
                     Pieced - By Me!
                     Quilted by Desley Maisano at Addicted to Quilts

            
I am so happy to finally be able to share this finish, I've been feeling guilty misleading you by posting work I did ages ago.  I'm also happy to be able to give this to Faye. A fabulous quilter herself who whilst she makes many quilts for others and quilts a lot of tops through her business, has never( I don't think?) had one given to her. So even though I couldn't give it to her personally on her Birthday I'm very relieved that Australia Post didn't lose it and it got there on time!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SECRET SQUIRREL!

12 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

WOW!!! I'm blown away by this. It's absolutely magnificent!!! Love everything about it!!!

Kleep said...

Great work, that is beautiful. Also, my compliments to the quilter who quilted it, really enhanced the whole thing!

I Quilt for Fun said...

Beautiful!

Katie said...

It still looks fantastic, I really think the gentle quilting has helped to make it feel really relaxed... So glad that Faye loved it - any ideas what she's going to use it for? BTW hilarious that you blanked out the names...

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Goodness me, it's fantastic!!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

My jaw dropped. Literally. This is amazing. WOW, really spectacular. I love that you embroidered names on it. So special. This is really incredible work! LOVE the layout and the minimalist back. Perfect! This quilt is my aim in life ;)

greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

Wow! This must have made her so happy! I've always wanted to try a dresden. I've used your backing fabric on a gift quilt, too - it is 3's Company by Thimbleberries.

Cassie J said...

Quilt carefully made with love and it shows. So lovely. I hope Faye treasures it!

ozsuzsanna said...

It is so beautiful!
And the FMQ is amazing!

gratulations!

Amy-kreatĂ­v said...

Fantastically beautiful!
Amy

Kim Walus said...

I saw the quilt you made on pinterest and I appreciate your giving me credit in your blog post. This happens to be one of my favorite patterns that I've created and it means a lot to me that you gave me credit on the pattern. The original pattern was intended to be a quilt so, it's fun to see it done in a quilt. I'm still working on my quilt and need to finish it this summer!

Rachel Hauser said...

Wow, that is an impressive machine applique blindstitch. Looks gorgeous! The singular dresden on the back is perfect. Thanks for sharing!